President News Article
Submitted By byeoman on Wednesday, May 6, 2020
Dear SMMHA Family,
We hope you and your family are well and staying healthy during these unprecedented time.
In the midst of uncertainty, we want to provide you with some information related to what has transpired last few months and what we are anticipating over the next few.
Here is a brief timeline that has transpired so far across Ontario and Canada.
• March 13 - Hockey Canada announced that all hockey related activities are to be suspended, which lead to the eventual cancellation of the reminder of the 2019-2020 season.
• March 16 – OHF (Ontario Hockey Federation) announces to their member partners that Representative spring tryouts would not take place in April. We anticipate over the coming months to receive more information related to when tryouts will take place and will share it with you as soon as it becomes available to us. We anticipate hearing updates relating to August/September Tryouts, but again depending how the virus progresses this may change.
• Mid-March – The government shut down all non-essential services which included all of South Muskoka’s sport facilities and will remain closed until the government feels that it will be safe to have our children back to these facilities.
• April 9 - OMHA bulletin advising OMHA AGM postponed until August 22, 2020 and be prepared for a structured 2020/21 season.
• May 6 - OHF directive has postponed all 2020-21 tournaments.
As we are all in a wait and see mode, SMMHA’s primary objective is to support planning for the upcoming season so we can have as much as possible ready for a seamless transition to the start of the 2020/2021 season. Our SMMHA Board has been meeting virtually and preparing a plan A, B and C as we receive season start up information from our regional governing body OMHA. We have postponed our AGM which will be held when restrictions are lifted. In the interim, please stay tuned for open board positions which will be announced in the coming days.
We are committed and will do our best to share in a timely manner any and all information provided to us by the OMHA that pertains to the start of the season.
At this time, we are reviewing our registration rate for the upcoming season while taking into account how COVID19 has financially impacted our community and families. Information regarding registration dates will be communicated at a later date.
Finally, we would like to thank all our members who provide an essential service to our community. We appreciate your continued commitment in helping to keep us safe! We would also like to take this time to thank all of the local businesses that have sponsored our players and teams throughout the years. We encourage, if possible, all members to continue to buy local and support the business in our community.
We hope all our members are in good health and embracing this time at home with each other. Keep a look out on our social media platforms as well as our website.
Stay Safe, Wash Your Hands, and Go Bears Go!
President, South Muskoka Minor Hockey Association